logo

How Can You Manage Your Time Effectively Using Time Management Tools?

time management

We have often heard the saying, "Time is money," yet most of us sometimes fail to manage our time properly and end up working extra hours after work to finish certain tasks.

You might say, so what, what's the problem with working extra hours if we have to finish certain tasks? Why is it necessary to manage time well?

We live in a century recognized as the connected century where everything is accelerated, and every minute counts. Moreover, time is a scarce resource, and everyone has the same amount of time, so some people know how to manage it wisely, while others waste it.

Consequently, the most productive people make the most of every moment and know how to bring the most value to themselves and those around them, while others who procrastinate and waste this resource may feel depressed and ineffective.

Therefore, it is essential to know how to manage your time well, and even better, to manage it effectively, as it brings financial gains as well as satisfaction and pride in oneself.

Good news, there are several methods that can be used to improve our time management.

In this article, I will present three methods that can help you manage your time better and especially to banish phrases like "phew, I still have these tasks to do and I must finish them today" or "I couldn't do this job or read this book because of lack of time"...

Let's start with the definition of time management.

What is Time Management?

Time management is an essential skill that involves organizing and planning how to divide your time between different activities. Good time management allows for increased efficiency and productivity while reducing stress, ensuring that every minute of the day is maximized. It includes setting priorities, defining clear goals, and establishing methods to track and control the time spent on specific tasks. This also includes adapting to interruptions and unexpected events flexibly while maintaining focus on the desired outcomes. In practice, time management often translates to using tools and techniques such as calendars, to-do lists, time-tracking apps, and planning strategies, all designed to optimize personal and professional productivity.

To manage your time well, it is necessary to set clear goals.

How to Manage Your Time Well?

To successfully manage time, it is essential to adopt a structured and mindful approach. Start by clearly defining your short-term and long-term goals, ensuring they are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time-bound (SMART).Here is an article that can help you better understand the SMART method.

Prioritize your tasks based on their importance and urgency, and use planning tools such as calendars or dedicated apps to organize your daily activities. Establish time blocks for specific tasks while leaving open time slots for unexpected events. Avoid multitasking, which can reduce work quality and efficiency, and take regular breaks to maintain a high level of concentration. Finally, regularly evaluate your time management methods and adjust them as needed to continuously improve your efficiency and achieve your goals more effectively.

Here are some methods to better manage your time.

Three Methods to Know for Better Time Management:

Method 1: ALPEN

This method, of German origin, is recommended for effective day-to-day work management.

It was created by the German Lothar J. Seiwert to help people better organize and manage their days.

This technique recommends planning identified tasks for only 60% of the time available to each person. The remaining 40% of the time is kept for managing unexpected events.

So, how should this time management method be applied?

Each day should be marked by organizing tasks to be completed in realistic durations. To do this, the ALPEN method recommends following 5 steps:

  • A – Alle Aufgaben: list all known tasks of the day to be completed; in other words, identify your to-do list.
  • L – Länge: estimate the duration of each task to be completed. Of course, this duration should be realistic.
  • P – Pufferzeit: identify the time slots to be respected for each activity. As in the second step, the time slots should also be realistic.
  • E – Entscheidungen: once all tasks are listed, it is necessary to sort them to identify if any could be delegated or postponed.
  • N – Nachkontrolle: this final step allows you to review the day's progress to better plan the activities for the next day.

Method 2: The Eisenhower Matrix

This method, which aims to prioritize tasks based on their urgency and importance, was developed from a quote by Dwight D. Eisenhower, the 34th President of the United States.

The quote says: "What is important is seldom urgent and what is urgent is seldom important."

So, what does this matrix look like, and how can it be applied to better manage your time?

This method classifies tasks according to two axes: urgency and importance. It helps identify tasks to be done, planned, delegated, or removed from your to-do list (see matrix below):

time management matrix

Method 3: The Pareto Principle

The Pareto Principle, or the 80-20 rule, is a principle created by Vilfredo Pareto, an Italian engineer, sociologist, and economist.

This principle demonstrates that 80% of the most significant results/impacts come from 20% of the causes, and only 20% of the results come from 80% of the effort. This principle can be applied to all areas: project management, time management, environment, finance...

To apply it in time management to increase productivity, it is important to know how to prioritize your daily work activities.

To do this, it is advisable to prioritize tasks by thinking about results vs. effort, starting the workday with actions that have 80% positive effect and added value, and leaving activities with only 20% impact for the end of the day.

Proper application of this technique also requires knowing how to say no to non-essential tasks or knowing how to delegate them if they need to be done.

So, What Tools Do We Use for Time Management?

In the world of time management tools, our application Luckiwi stands out for its ability to track time effectively and intuitively. Specifically designed to meet the needs of modern professionals, including industry, Luckiwi offers advanced features for tracking and analyzing the time spent on various tasks. This application not only measures productivity but also identifies areas of efficiency and opportunities for improvement. With a sleek user interface and multiple integrations, Luckiwi fits seamlessly into the daily routine of professionals, facilitating more precise and proactive time management.

There are 5 principles that can help you master time management well.

What Are the 5 Major Principles of Time Management?

The five major principles of time management provide a framework to improve productivity and efficiency in all spheres of life. First, planning is crucial; it involves setting clear goals and strategically allocating time to achieve them. Second, prioritization allows distinguishing essential tasks from less important ones, focusing on what generates the most value. Third, effective delegation of responsibilities is essential to maximize available resources and reduce workload. Fourth, setting boundaries is necessary to protect your time from interruptions and distractions, ensuring uninterrupted focus on priority tasks. Finally, the principle of reflection and adjustment invites regularly reviewing your work methods and adjusting them based on results and feedback for continuous optimization of time management. When applied consistently, these principles can radically transform how one manages time and obligations.

In this last part of the article, we will look at time management at work.

How to Organize at Work?

Organizing at work is essential to increase efficiency and reduce stress. To achieve this, it is recommended to start each day by creating a list of priority tasks. This list should be realistic, considering the available time and upcoming deadlines. Using digital tools such as project management apps or shared calendars can help visualize deadlines and coordinate efforts with colleagues. It is also important to maintain an orderly workspace, as a clean and organized environment promotes better concentration. Defining uninterrupted work periods, often called time blocks, allows you to dedicate yourself entirely to a task without distraction. Finally, taking the time to review and adjust your organization daily based on the results obtained and unforeseen events allows you to stay flexible and efficient.

Conclusion:

As mentioned at the beginning of the article, there are several methods that help people manage their time more effectively, but whatever method is chosen, discipline is essential to succeed in making the most of it.

Article written by Sara MOUDRIK HORN

Try for Free